Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR)

CDBG-DR appropriations granted by Congress and distributed by HUD are designed to provide states with additional funding so the state in theory could distribute the funds to individuals, households and communities for long-term disaster recovery needs that were not paid for by other federal sources, such as the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Small Business Administration (SBA).

Working with your local state CPD you can arrange programs ahead of time that will benefit state government then local government all while keeping your thoughts toward the individual households and families that HUD believes they are assisting.

Congress often barks that HUD is too slow to distribute federal assistance. As the state grantee you must delay the allocations from Congress for as long as possible. Typically you can ask for two (2) six (6) month extensions making your program launch date over 18 months after the declared disaster date. The numbers you submitted to Congress will not change but the unmet needs of city, county and parishes will change. Also you'll find homeowners will typically take SBA loans which are not to be reimbursed by HUD CDBG-DR funds. But those that have credit and good standings with banks can use conventional loans which can and most likely will be reimbursed with HUD CDBG-DR funds. Reference the duplication of benefits and what your congressional representatives are telling their constituents. Be sure to share the media package with your elected officials so they have people making over 120 AMI applying for conventional loans with the expectation of reimbursement 12 to 18 months later. Make sure those who earn less than average income only apply and accept SBA loans which will not qualify for reimbursement. This method will allow the state grantee to list low to moderate income households as not needing federal assistance.